Tamarind is a tropical fruit to be originated in Africa but it has been used for many many years in India as well. So it's really hard to say the place of its origin.
It is called as "Imli" इमली in Hindi and it's used in most parts of India. Among many uses, the most favourite is tamarind sweet and sour chutney from the North of India. From Central till the south of India it's used for many purposes like rice mixes to Sambhars and so on.
I remember my maternal grandmother used to make this tamarind drink when we visited her every summer in the school holidays in a small village called "Sago" in the State of Rajasthan. I loved going there, it was this picture perfekt typical Rajasthani village where in the women used to wear these colourful lehengas and water was brought home every evening in the mud pitchers when the well would start. There was no running water at home in those early days. I used to love to take a small brass pitcher over my head too.
Anyways now back to our drink otherwise I can go on and on about that. But one day will write about my experience there.
So for this simple and easy drink, you will need:
- a lime 🍋 size of tamarind pulp
- about 2-3 tablespoons of brown sugar or to taste
- salt to taste
- black salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp of Black Pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp of dried mint
- 1/2 tsp of roasted cumin powder
1. Soak the tamarind in about 4 glasses of water along with the sugar, I did it overnight.
2. in the morning, rub the tamarind with your fingers and get the whole pulp out.
3. Now sieve the liquid through a strainer and add all the spices.
4. Keep it chilled in the fridge and enjoy and one more thing, it helps you not to get the heat stroke.
5. If you soak it overnight and prepare in the morning by the time its afternoon its nice and chilled. Shake it before serving. Enjoy the summer.