This tomato-mozzarella salad also know as Caprese salad is a hot favorite in Italian homes and non Italians too. It could be made from big mozzarella balls and big tomatoes, put together in a domino form or it could be made from cherry tomatoes and small mozzarella balls. For the dressing you just need extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil leaves, sea salt and black pepper. I like to add a bit more spices so I add my organic salad mix. That is all.
Here is what you will need:
- 250 gm of cherry tomatoes, I found the tricolor ones, red, dark greenish and yellow (T loved the salad, full points for me there)
- a pack of mozzarella balls, I took at 250 gm pack
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- few grinds of black pepper
- half a tsp of salad spice mix, if using
1. Wash the tomatoes, and if you have some bit bigger ones, half them.
2. Add the tomatoes to a bowl, tear the basil leaves and add that too.
3. Open the pack of mozzarella cheese, discard the water and add the cheese to the bowl.
4. Add salt, pepper, salad mix, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
5. Mix it all well and let it chill for the flavors to work.
This makes a great light dinner or a lunch served with a bread on the side or even on its own, when its quite hot the girls like to eat this a lot.