Murmure or puffed rice is a favorite low calorie snack and its enjoyed in the whole of India. Its a great substitute for fried chips or crisps. You feel better and guilt free after eating it. It is very easy to make and it tastes great with tee, coffee as an afternoon snack or just in between too. These murmure are also the base to make Bhelpuri. I made them today for me and R and gave it to him with an Indian Coffee while watching Cricket (IPL)! he loved it and mind you, he is my biggest critic. But this time I got all the points. I had a tuff competion here as his mother and sister makes them best.
So here is what you will need for 4 generous servings.
- 6 cups murmure/puffed rice(available in Indian stores)
- a generous handful of raw peanuts
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- few dried curry leaves, if available
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp icing sugar
1. Take a big Wok and heat the oil in it.
2. When the oil start to smoke, add the mustard seeds and let them crackle, reduce the heat to medium.
3. Add the curry leaves and roast them.
4. Now add the peanuts and roast them turning until they look crunchy.
5. Add the sesame seeds, salt and the turmeric powder, mix them all well.
6. Now add all the murmure to the wok and mix them all well. You will see the murmure should get coated with the oil and turn yellowish in color. Take two wooden spatulas for this.
7. Now with good patience keep tossing them around and roasting them for a good 5-7 minutes. This step is a must to do done properly otherwise you will not get that crunch.
8. Taste them when they taste crunchy, then add the red chili powder and the icing sugar.
9. Mix it all well and serve.
10. They can be kept for days in an airtight container and they make a great travel and picknick snack too.