We all love Falafel or Vedas. Mostly they are fried but I have tried to bake them and they came out as good as the fried ones. They are super simple to make, rich in protein and they can be used in a variety of ways.
Here is what you will need for a whole tray full of Vedas.
- 200 gms of yellow moong daal: (yellow lentils) soaked for about 2-3 hours
- 1 red onion: finely chopped
- 1 green chili: finely chopped
- 1 zucchini: grated (big side of the grater)
- handful of fresh coriander: chopped
- big pinch of Asatofedita (heeng)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp black pepper: coarsely grounded
- 1 tbsp oil
1. Soak the moong daal, drain it in a sieve and let it sit there for a while.
2. In the meantime prepare all the above ingredients
3. Now with the help of a hand mixer, puree the daal coarsely
4. Add all the above ingredients to the daal and mix it all well
5. If you feel the zucchini left some water then squeeze out the water from it
6. Preheat the oven to 180°
7. With the help of two teaspoons, put the vedas on the baking paper and put them in the oven to bake for about 25-30 minutes
8. Half way through flip them over and bake them further for the remaining time
9. By the end of these 30 minutes you will see they will start to get golden brown
10. Take them out and serve them with fresh mint-coriander chutney or tomato ketchup
11. You can also serve them on a bed of rocket salad or even fill them up and make a Falafel
12. These can also be very well frozen. Enjoy!