Pyaz-Tamater ka Raita/Onion & Tomato Raita
Raita is a yogurt dish which always finds a place on the Indian Thali. There can be different kinds of Raitas. We made this Onion and Tomato Raita in the weekend course and Fabianne and the group loved it. So here is this recipe for Fabianne and her friends.
Here is what you will need for the Raita for 4 persons:
- 500 gm natural yogurt
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 4-5 cherry tomatoes, quartered or 1 big tomato, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- salt to taste
- a big pinch of black salt /kala namak (i used from natur kraft werke)
- pinch of heeng/asatofedita
- 1/4 tsp of dried mint
- 1/4 tsp of roasted and grinded cumin powder
- a big pinch of red chili powder
- a tablespoon of fresh chopped mint or coriander and a few leaves to garnish
1. Take the yogurt in a glass bowl.
2. Cut, and chop all the vegetables as mentioned.
3. Roast the cumin seeds on low heat, let it cool, then crush it in the morser
4. Add all the vegetables and spices to the bowl and mix it all well.
5. Keep it covered outside so that it all gets marinated and with the salt the Raita will also get a bit of sourness or will get a bit pungent
6. If you feel the yogurt is too on the sweeter side (not sugar sweet, just sweet) then add a tsp of fresh lime juice.
7. Serve it as a side dish or a condiment to any Indian meal.