Zucchini is a very versatile summer vegetable. You can use it in so many ways. Its great texture and flavour makes it such a great partner in many dishes. If you have a kitchen/Schreber garden like me then you can grow them very easily. They can also be easily grown in pits and are super easy maintanence.
I tried the zucchini boat for a first time, basically for two reasons. Firstly my Zucchini in the garden grew a bit too big and last time I used a big one, its flesh was very soft and after cooking turned watery. So I was looking to use it some other way.
So after having this Zucchini boat now we loved it so much it will be a regular at home and I am even letting my Zucchinis grow bigger and longer.
Here is what you will need for two boats.
- 1 medium to big Zucchini
- 1 small cup cooked rice, leftover rice would be great too.
- 2-3 tablespoons of Sugo (tomatoe sauce, the pasta one)
- salt and Pepper to taste
- olive oil
- some Parmesan
- Chili flakes
1. if you have leftover rice then it's great, otherwise cook the rice with salt and 1/2 tap of curry powder in it till its al-dente.
2. Wash the Zuchini, cut it into half and scrape out the flesh from it. You can use the flesh in stews or soups or ratatouille.!
3. Prick the zucchini bottom on a few places with a fork from inside.
4. Sprinkle some salt and pepper there and drizzle a bit of olive oil.
5. Now fill the boat with rice and top it with tomatoe sugo.
6. Sprinkle the Parmesan on the top and drizzle some olive oil on top too.
7. Bake it in the oven for about 30-35 mts.
8. Sprinkle some chilli flakes and serve hot. I served mine with some home made Tatsiki and flat bread.
8. A mixed salad also goes very well with it. Enjoy.
Tip: this is a great dish to make when you are having guests. You can prepare and assemble everything in advance and just put it in the oven and bake it, when you serve your starters. By the time its time for dinner you will have a nice and warm dish ready to serve.