Chana daal Veda/Falafel
Chana Daal Veda/ Falafel or I am sure you know the Hiltil Vedas.
It is so easy to make that you can cry and yet so tasty and healthy too. Now here I am making it with Indian Chana Daal, the way we make in India. The difference between Falfel and Veda is that, Falafel is make out of Chic-peas and Veda is made out of Chana Daal. But there are other kinds of Vedas too. But for now lets stay here.
Here is what you will need:
1. 1 bowl of Chana Daal, soaked for about 2 hours (available in Indian stores)
2. Salt to taste
3. 1 tsp of cumin seeds
4. 1/2 tsp of red chili powder
5. 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
6. few shakes of black pepper.
7. hand full of chopped fresh coriander
8. 1 green chili, finely chopped or to taste
9. half an inch of grated ginger
10. oil to fry
1. Drain all the water from the chana daal in a sieve and grind it using a hand grinder. Its best to use the hand grinder because then you can make a paste out of the daal without using much water and this paste has to be dry.
2. Mix all the ingredients in the pate and mix it all well.
3. Heat oil in a wok or a friteusse and when it starts to smoke, reduce the heat and put the vedas with the help of two tea spoons in the hot oil.
4. Cook them on medium heat, turn them around once after 2-3 minutes and cook them on the other side until brown in colour.
5. Drain the oil on the kitchen paper and serve them as vedas with ketchup or mint chutney or get the flat breads and make home made falafels. Enjoy.